Updates: parts, podcasts and preposterous ponderings

Thought I'd take a minute to give some updates. In no particular order of importance...


I'm working on a whole-bike lookin' over for a friend's GL1500. Among the maintenance work it needs is new wheel bearings. The OEM bearing prices are completely nuts. I found suitable replacements at http://VXB.com and http://goallballs.com. Much better pricing. It also needs tires - at least the rear - so I get to give my tire machine a serious work out. I'm all about "work smart, not hard" so I'll get to tweak my technique accordingly, I'm sure.


My garage has been gutted, cleaned, organized and properly setup *almost* perfectly the way I want it. I don't know that I'm tickled with the location of my tire machine, and I'd like to have a little more cabinet/shelf space, but all in all, I can get the bikes in it, be working on one and still have room for a car (once the last of the big-box junk is gone). So... *thumbs up*


The Sportster needs rear shocks. When I bought the bike, modification #1 was updates to the suspension, including ditching the horrid stock suspenders out back. Well, in a cost-saving move and to test out some options, I bought some used shocks off eBay that have worked out mostly ok. Now, 2 years later, they're blown (well, one is). Couldn't come at a worse time... $ is tight right now. So... the bike is still rideable but with a leaky shock. Oh well. Plus... I've got the Burgman to scoot around on and if I really need a "real" bike fix (hah!), I've still got the 'Glide. Its sale has been put on hold until next Spring.


I've mentioned in the past the possibility of doing a podcast because most of them just aren't my thing... well, my friend James emailed me recently asking how serious I was about it. We got to talking... got to thinking and scheming... and decided now's the time. So... I present to you, http://thepacepodcast.com/. We have no shows available for download yet, so we're not going gangbusters on the promotion yet, but I do have buy-in from several of the podcasters I listen to for cross-promotion. Awesome! This is a little scary... you know how some people have a "face for radio"? I've always felt like I've got a voice for mime... so I'm sure editing and proofing won't be awkward at all! :)

That's about it for now... been concentrating on life and work lately, nothing much new to report on the bike side of things.

Winter's coming... ice, frost bite, and all the good and fun things. Be safe, folks!